Detox tea: the internet is full of it. They also speak of Tea detoxes occasionally, because that is the new detox. When you scroll on social media, you have probably already seen photos of detox tea. Detoxing also takes other forms. Just think of the juice cures, rinses or lemon water. You will see a ‘before’ and ‘after’ photo in which that person proudly shows the effect of detox tea.
But is it really effective? Are there only advantages to detoxing, or are there also negative effects that nobody is talking about? Curious? Read on soon!
Before I talk about the usefulness of detox, you must know that there are different toxins in our body. Most bad substances reach our body from the outside, via the air, food and even beauty products. Think of exhaust fumes from cars, additives in food and parabens in care products.
The holidays are at the door again. Then people start detoxing in maze. Because that Christmas period is filled with lots of good food and drinks. All those toxins go to the liver, where the hazardous substances are filtered. And via detox tea, many people hope to be able to filter their bodies. But is this so?
What is detoxing?
Detoxing comes from the English word detoxification, which means detoxification. The most familiar forms of detox are detox teas or juice cures. In this case, people only take in juices for a certain period of time. At the detox tea is often just eaten. It is a real hype at the moment. Through this way we think we can detoxify our body and remove all toxins.
The idea that you can simply wash away bad substances and cleanse your organs is scientifically nonsense. Not much research has been done on detox courses, which means that it cannot be substantiated. It is fine if people feel good about it, but it does not remove any toxins. Several scientists agree that our body already has a built-in detox mechanism. Our liver, for example, filters the bad substances. Why would we still need a detox? Further research is needed to check whether it is really effective.
Types Of Detox
There are actually two types of detox: the medical treatment and the detox, such as the juices and detox teas. For example, medical treatment is used in hospital poisoning. This is a treatment that really works. In addition, you also have the kind of detox that everyone is talking about. This is the type of detox where you adjust your diet to remove harmful substances. Just think about the different detox teas that are available.
What does detox tea do?
According to many scientists, detoxing is not really detoxing, but then you can ask yourself the question: what does this do? Drinking detox tea can have several benefits and I sum up the most important ones for you.
- It is a good addition to a healthy lifestyle – Detox tea can contribute to your healthy lifestyle. It can also help you to ignore unhealthy soft drinks and keep your energy up to standard.
- Losing weight – Many people start with a detox cure because they want to lose weight. But you have to remain realistic. The loss mainly consists of moisture and if you then pick up your old lifestyle again, the kilos quickly get back to it. It is not made for permanent weight loss, but it can be a good start! It can motivate people to eat healthier.
- It can lead to more energy -Because of the adapted beverage, it may be that you have more energy. Of course, you also need to eat healthy if you want to see real results. You feel better about yourself because you are just taking healthy substances. BUT, the amount of energy depends on the type of course you are following. There are so many different courses, inform yourself well before you choose.
Following a detox treatment can have various side effects and disadvantages.
- Do not get enough nutrients – Here I first like to make a difference between the juices and detox teas. In a juices cure, you usually only live on juices for a period of time. You will probably no longer get enough nutrients and your body can react to it. The body needs calories. If you do not get enough calories or certain nutrients, this can lead to a lower resistance.
With many detox teas you eat normal food, which is not so much a problem.
- Some herbal mixtures have side effects – In detox tea is often the plant Senna, which can bring a laxative effect. You can get cramps after drinking tea, diarrhea, nausea and bloating. You can also have a potassium shortage due to an excess of Senna, which in turn could lead to cardiac arrhythmia. So, pay attention to the side effects of certain herbs! Because detox tea has a laxative effect, your stomach will also look flatter.
- May affect your sleep pattern – Because detox tea often contains caffeine, it can suppress your hunger, but it also has a laxative effect. In addition, excess caffeine can also lead to a high heart rate and can disturb your sleep.
To date, there is no evidence that all these detox courses do help. But if you feel good at such a cure, you just have to do it. You have more extreme forms of detox, but the detox teas are generally safe. To keep your body healthy, you should simply choose a healthy lifestyle. It is important to know what you put into your mouth. Choose healthy food, enough exercise and adequate sleep. That way you will feel healthy. Do you still feel tired after all these tips? Consult the doctor.